You are currently browsing the tag archive for the ‘pop culture’ tag.
With the recent confirmation of the Good Omens TV series, which is apparently under the care of Terry Jones (yes that Terry Jones, not that Terry Jones), Puffin and I have been wondering how they’ll manage to fuck it up. Which is not to say that I don’t like Terry Jones. I do, very much. And actually I’ve quite liked the SkyOne adaption of Hogfather. But Good Omens……lets just say that there have been some frantic IM conversations between Puffin and myself, fretting about everything from cuts to mismanagement to the ever looming threat of Tim Burton, and worst of all…… casting. If ever there was a story that needed the perfect cast to pull it off, this is it.
The usual Imaginary Casting Couch rules apply:
- The space time continuum does not apply- actors can magically go back in time and star as their younger selves. (This rule was established primarily to allow MacGuffin to keep Leonardo DiCaprio around indefinitely.) Similarly, the dead can come back to life, which allows Alec Guinness to star in everything ever.
- The space time continuum may not apply, but accent rules do apply. MacGuffin and Puffin do not endorse Americans attempting British accents. It never works. In certain cases, however, you can simply let the character have an American accent. I truly believe that the uncanny valley of accents is a real thing that exists. An American can do a technically perfect imitation of a British accent, but it can still just be skin crawlingly awful. Take, for example, Peter Dinklage in Game of Thrones, or Robert Downey Jr in Sherlock Holmes.
- We reserve the right to ignore certain facts about an actors career. The fact that Michael Caine was in The Swarm, for example, will not be held against him.
- Certain movies shall not be meddled with: The original Star Wars, The Man Who Would be King, The Godfather pts I and II, anything by Billy Wilder, Casablanca, Firefly, A Fish Called Wanda, and finally and most importantly, Buckaroo Banzai.
- Tim Burton is banned for life.
- Johnny Depp is banned for life.
- Michael Cera is banned from playing Michael Cera for life.
So here we go, our initial picks for the dream cast of Good Omens:
Further ideas? I’m especially happy about Simon Pegg as Newton Pulsifer. I think he’s perfect. I mean, think of him as a slightly nerdier Sean of the Dead.
What are your thoughts?
Other Imaginary Casting Couch posts: